Cho Gi-Seok-Design Post 7

Introduction

    I happened to stumble across a renowned photographer who has a very eccentric style of photography. This was a COMPLETE accident. I saw a cover story, written by Arabelle Sicardi in the Allure magazine (link below), on an artist that I enjoy listening to, Billie Eilish. Lo and behold, this particular photographer happened to shoot Eilish’s photos for this story. I was left with no option but to lose myself in both worlds. I relished the beauty, ambition, and talent of the pop star being portrayed in the photographs and every element of design in the photography itself.

Billie Eilish Just Wants to Feel Good - Interview | Allure

    Eilish just came out with her third fragrance, Eilish No. 3, but this design post is about the MYSTERIOUS photographer, not Eilish.

His name is…

Cho Gi-Seok

    Cho Gi-Seok was born in Seoul, South Korea, and he is an established professional photographer. He also founded his streetwear brand KUSIKOHC. Gi-Seok began his career in graphic design and set design, before discovering his love for photography.

    Seok’s unique photographs of Eilish reeled me in and left me begging for more. I admire his use of high contrast and textures, making Eilish’s new hair color and grungy style POP. His color palette could not have been more accurate, ranging from bright reds, oranges, and yellows to neutral blacks and greys. The color red protrudes out from the top of Eilish’s hair fading into black. Red is also the color of her new perfume bottle.

    Gi-Seok is a huge fan of expressing his work through clothing and close-up portraits. The way he sets of his lighting in this shoot distinguishes the focal point from the rest of the piece perfectly. This close-up feel makes viewers feel closer to Eilish urging them to purchase or indulge in the story behind this newly developed fragrance, Eilish No. 3.

You can find more of Cho Gi-Seok's work at this link: www.chogi-seok.com.

Conclusion

    For months I had been pondering what designers I would find that intrigued me. I thought to myself I don’t know any designers. I am fairly new to design, and I have barely scraped the surface of what makes a good designer. Accidents turn into the best information and knowledge. I have one designer, and there will be many to come that catch my eye, as well. It is exhilarating to me when I find articles such as these. I learned about a new magazine, Allure, Billie Eilish’s new fragrance, Eilish No. 3, a jaw-dropping photographer, Cho Gi-Seok, and an extraordinary fashion and beauty writer, Arabelle Sicardi. In the graphic design world, discussing articles such as these helps me build my vocabulary when describing the works of designers that I come across. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Street Buka's Logo - Project 25 Final

Nigerian Street Buka's Brand Identity - Project 26

XXL Magazine - Project 3