Superman's Not Home Right Now - Creative Exercise 9

Introduction

    What generation were you born in? I was born during what we call the “millennial generation”. We had house phones growing up, but there was another way to communicate that some people may not know of. If I remember correctly, there were still a few of these still hanging around. It is crazy to look back and try to remember whether they still existed or not because there was a major shift and advancement in technology as I was growing up. These were used all of the time when people needed to get in contact with someone, and they were traveling around town or in general. You’d pop a quarter in (back when these first came out they cost a dime) and you could dial the number of whomever you needed to contact. It also had shelter covering it so that the technology would not get destroyed, and we wouldn’t get electrocuted. Have you guessed it yet?

It is...Superman!


I'm just kidding.

It is the good ole PAY PHONE BOOTH.

    They seem ANCIENT now. I had to think back to whether that was still a “thing” in my generation. For my creative exercise, I chose “Superman’s Not Home Right Now” out of the book CAFFEINE FOR THE CREATIVE MIND 20 EXERCISES TO WAKE UP YOUR BRAIN by Stefan Mumaw and Wendy Lee Oldfield.

    “Superman’s Not Home Right Now” instructs the reader to come up with 10 alternative uses for the phone booth. This exercise stumped me. I sat there pondering, and the only idea popping in my head was shelter from the rain. I thought to myself, how original. NOT! I thought about this for some time, but when I came up with the next idea, the other ideas began to flow.

Superman's Not Home Right Now

THE 10 alternatives for the PHONE BOOTH:

Rain Shelter

Terrarium

Shower

Closet

Photo Booth

Mini Office

Sound Booth

Air Dryer

Pantry

Portable Storage

Conclusion

    This exercise made me go back and time, and I can only imagine how it made Generation X or the Baby Boomers feel! I am telling you phone booths are ANCIENT. As I am writing this, it is seriously making me laugh. I came up with some decent ideas for the Phone Booth. I believe there are a ton of things that this structure could be used for. I enjoyed this little time machine of an exercise, and I think it is very eco-friendly to recycle products while trying to get my creative juices flowing to generate ideas. These exercises are beneficial in more than one way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Street Buka's Logo - Project 25 Final

Nigerian Street Buka's Brand Identity - Project 26

XXL Magazine - Project 3