Object/Action/Effect-Creative Exercise 27

Introduction

    I have recently embarked on a brand-new journey. It kind of just fell into my lap, and I believe that if things are meant to be then they will happen naturally. This new-found journey involves photography, and I am excited, scared, nervous, and all of the above. I will be taking photographs that relate to specific reports/stories that will be given to me. It will be exhilarating for sure.

    In saying this, I came across a creative exercise that involves taking pictures of a process. The exercise is called OBJECT/ACTION/EFFECT out of the book: “CREATIVE BOOT CAMP-GENERATE IDEAS IN GREATER QUANTITY & QUALITY IN 30 DAYS”, written by Stefan Mumaw. The time limit for this creative exercise is 15 minutes.

    OBJECT/ACTION/EFFECT explains: “If you took the cap off a marker and then put that marker in your shirt pocket, it wouldn’t be long before an ink stain appeared on your shirt”. The marker is the object. The action I putting the marker in your shirt pocket, and the effect is the marker ink bleeding onto your shirt.

    What the book instructs you to do is to grab a digital camera or just your phone. With the camera of your choice, take three photos that represent an object, action, and effect.

    While I was reading this exercise, I began to look around my desk, and I saw something that would be perfect for this exercise. The object that I had lying around was my sage. Not to far in proximity from my sage was a lighter.

OBJECT/ACTION/EFFECT Photos:

    First: I placed my sage on a surface away from other objects, and I took a picture.

    Second: I placed my lighter on the same surface, and I took a picture.

    Third: I lit my sage on fire, and I took a picture of it burning with sparks and smoke coming off of it.

Conclusion

    I found this exercise to be pretty meditative. I don’t know if it was because it was the lighting of my sage or the combination of getting to take pictures of the process of lighting my sage. Either way, I thoroughly enjoyed this exercise. I explored a few different angles of my sage and the smoke rolling off of it, and I took various pictures. In the end, I chose my favorite photos, uploaded them, edited them, and posted them on my blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Street Buka's Logo - Project 25 Final

Nigerian Street Buka's Brand Identity - Project 26

XXL Magazine - Project 3